Monday, April 21, 2008

End of a Good Weekend


Guangzhou’s climate kind of reminds me like Miami. Right now it’s the middle of typhoon season so it’s really hot and humid and of course rain. We left the hotel at around 10 so too late for dim sum so I guess my uncle’s brother in law invited us to visit one of his contacts who owns a pig farm that raises pigs for “yu jiu”. A Chinese dish that roasts the pig until the skin is super crispy and delicious.

When we got there the whole place was covered with tiny baby frogs. Lunch wasn’t for another 2 hours so I got bored of just sitting around drinking tea so I went out and checked out the pig containment area. My first attitude towards this place that is an hour out of Guangzhou was a nice country area away from all the smog and activity from the city, but I guess here I really saw China.

I’m assuming this lake used to be full of fish and water but now its all drained and full of gross brown and green stuff and trash along the sides. I think its due to the fact that people used up all the water for faming and stuff, Yuck..

We went to 2 different seafood restaurants today. For lunch we met up with 2 other business men. Our table was overlooking the river which was pretty cool and there was an old lady that drove her boat along the restaurant selling bananas and papayas.

The restaurant we went to for dinner was 3 floors tall. Food was super tasty but I wasn’t bold enough to try the water beetles, maybe next time…

Right now I’m on the plane back to Beijing and I’m glad I made it out to Guangzhou for the weekend for some awesome seafood and sightseeing. I took more than 200 pics and I’m debating whether or not I should get a pro account with Flickr so I can upload an unlimited amount of pictures because my next planned trip is to go to Hong Kong for our May break and Shanghai during our 3 day weekend at the end of May.

I was lucky enough to get a Beijing Olympics plane on the way home ^-^

No comments: