Saturday, April 5, 2008

Something's Missing...



So I've been here for almost two weeks and walking around my campus something just seems off or missing. Then about my 5th day here it totally made sense. SQUIRRELS!
There are absolutely no squirrels here on campus or from what I've seen, China for that matter. Do they just not exist in this country or have they been hunted to extinction?
But I'm used to being on the U of M campus and just watching smug overconfident squirrels run past me or jump out at me from inside a garbage can, here at BLCU it seems somewhat too quiet without these furry little foes.
Oh I took that pic btw outside of the hallway window, I'm getting better at taking pics because I had to do a little bit of exposure tweaking to get the buildings correctly lit up, so its not photoshopped at all so I'm a bit proud. I think there's supposed to be mountains in the background...



Yesterday was pretty great, I met my language partner, and for those who keep asking me, NO she is not hot! sheesh...
Her name is Sophie and she was the person that helped me out to open my account at the Agricultural Bank of China. She randomly just asked me if I needed a language partner and I was a little taken back but I said sure since there wasn't any real drawback to it.
Sophie and I went to the Electronics market in Zhong guang zhong, I think that's how you spell it.

She needed help picking out a digital camera and I learned a bit about bargaining in Chinese.
Sophie's pretty nice, she was a student at BLCU as well but in Finance. She asked me about banks in the US and the idea of banks being closed on Sundays and very short hours on Saturday were like impossible for her, so I had to laugh.


This is just funny that Jackie Chan is endorsing the Rebel XTI, the camera that is a step up from the one that I have.
Advertising here is kind of funny, apart from the crazy old men with a ton of crap on the back of their bikes, olympic sponsored goods, and chinese dogs, I think i'm going to add another focus for me to take pictures and that is Stars and the stuff they sell. haha
I've seen SOOO many pictures of Wang Lee hom and Jay chou, and even David Beckham selling cell phones and clothing. I wish I took pics at the market but I'm very sure there will be more opportunities to do that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You would talk about squirrels!