Saturday, April 19, 2008

Food and Fair





So far the most exciting events during the 2 days I’ve been in Guangzhou is eating at fancy seafood restaurants and the Export and Import fair. The restaurant I went to tonight really was extraordinary though.

We went to a buffet called 4 seas international house, and honestly I’ve never been to a buffet like this one. All you can drink bubble milk tea, beer, and wine. Then there’s Chinese food of course, Korean, and all you can eat sushi. Total per person was around $100 rmb, so around $15. The amazing thing was the fact that there was so much fresh food that would definitely not be served at your typical Asian buffet back home. There was grilled oysters, tappanyaki, Hagan Daaz ice cream, and salmon and tuna sashimi to name a few. The tuna was so fresh they literally were cutting up the fish in front of you and put it on your plate. The placemats showed the map of the buffet, so I grabbed one and when I get a chance I’ll scan it and post it up.

A funny thing that I’ve seen here is that parents actually encourage kids to drink alcohol. Like at the buffet there were two kids that were around 12 years old and the parents told them to get some red wine if they wanted to and they brought it back and downed the entire glass. I’m not sure if its my American mentality that finds that off or what.

My uncle, cousin, and I went to the China Export and Import fair today and it was really awesome. I’ve never been in such a huge convention before.

There were so many exhibits to visit, Clothing and Textiles, Toys, IT and Electronics, Food products, Home Appliances, and Farm Machinery just to name a few.

The ones that we went to were Clothing and Textiles, Electronics, and Home Appliances. We walked around for about 6 hours and barely covered 30% of the total exhibits.

At first I thought that the electronics part was going to be like the normal Vegas shows with state of the art stuff with lots of freebies and stuff to try, but mainly it was just cables, computer parts, and tools. So not all that exciting.

The home appliances however was pretty nifty.

There was a humidifier where you can just put in a bottle of water and it’ll run off that. Lots of neat state of the art refrigerators, ovens, and microwaves. One fridge actually took your picture as you opened the door for extra security.

The best appliance we saw was the IRest, yah I know cheesy name. The most expensive one was about $1000 and it had all the bells and whistles you’d ever need in a chair.

I wish I was here for a few more days and with people so I could maybe make some connections and check out the rest of the fair but this was definitely an awesome experience.




No comments: