Saturday, April 12, 2008

Wandering aimlessly around Beijing



So tonight it seems like everybody had plans of their own except for me. I got back from the Great Wall at 2, uploaded the wall pics and did stuff on the computer until 5 and then Stephen lent me his transportation card just in case I couldn't get one for myself. Its funny that I went on Aim when I got back and Katie asked what's up? and I said, oh nothing I just got back from the Great Wall of China, and she replies with "Show off"...
So I decided to re-visit Wang Fu Jin just because I didn't get to check the whole thing out when I went with my cousin last week.

Took the subway from Wu Dou Kou which is down the street about 3 Chinese blocks West, so about a mile and a half. Switched trains and jumped on the line 2 at Xi Zhi men, then got to Fu Xing Men where I swapped over to the line 1 and got to Wang Fu Jing. Bad timing on my part because I was traveling at rush hour and the trains were absolutely packed so I got my fair share of pushing and shoving for the evening.
I went into this mall looking place which is pictured uptop, It was really huge, and just full of name brand stores. I felt poor just standing outside and looking in so I didn't bother window shopping.
I was looking for a good place to get ramen but couldn't find one so instead I went to Yoshinoya, this fast food place I went to when I was in HK oh so many years before.

I wandered around the outside shopping district looking for a polarizer lens for my camera because they're $40 back home but people were offering me absurd Chinese prices from 200-300 rmb, which is better than back home but still quite expensive and they weren't willing to bargain.


Walked back to where I ate random street food last time but really didn't have much of an appetite and it wasn't because every other vendor was selling stinky tofu or scorpions.
Seriously how does anyone eat starfish?!


I did however run into several Official Olympic stores and they are just chock full of expensive touristy goods which I will be wasting most of my funds on because lets face it, they're adorable and way better that what we came up with during the 96 Atlanta olympics, like seriously what the heck is this? Homer Simpson totally came up with a better mascot with the spring, with hilarious results too.


Wouldn't you rather be surrounded by these cuddly things? Like this guy for instance who looks like he's about to be tackle hugged by these 4 ft Friendlies.

So tonight was sort of an unproductive night I could have just spent staying in and doing homework but its Friday so hopefully tomorrow will be a little bit more productive following with a fun evening not spent by myself ^-^

Oh btw, someone dropped Donald while we were in the parking lot at the great wall so I need to get some super glue and fix him up...so my sympathies and prayers go out to him in his time of need

No comments: