Friday, April 18, 2008

Weekend in Guangzhou



So I ended up deciding to drop everything and head to Guangzhou for the weekend. For the many that don’t know where Guangzhou is, its south of Beijing about 3 hours by plane, 22 hours by train.

My uncle helped me buy round trip tickets for 2400, so a little over $300. Although it’s a bit on the pricy side, it’s not bad considering I took the flight about 5 hours after the tickets were booked.

I ended up skipping class today which made me feel guilty because we were going out to eat again as a class but this time our teacher was going to teach us basics on ordering Chinese food, and I guess going to class is important too…

I always hate packing last minute because I know with my short-term memory, I end up forgetting something.

So far I forgot my cell phone charger and I just realized this very second that I didn’t bring my power adapters so if I want to charge my laptop I’ll need to find a store and pick up a power strip. I also have to be on the constant lookout on how I can maximize my cell phone battery until Monday night, hopefully that won’t be a problem as long as nobody calls me, which isn’t out of the ordinary haha

My flight was at 3 but I needed to leave campus at 12 because I only had the tickets ordered but not purchased. I thought the airport was a lot closer and would have cost me 40 kuai but it ended up costing around 100 and took 45 min to get there. The Beijing airport is really huge and I had a hard time finding the places I needed to go.

I flew with China Air, and even though it was a 3 hour flight, they treated it like a 10 hour flight. There was lunch served and tv to watch but in Chinese. I was even booked for an aisle so that was nice. What was also cool was that there was a camera under the plane so you could see what the ground looked like when you were landing.

Total travel time from BLCU to my final destination to meet my cousin and Uncle was about 8 hours.

This should be a fun weekend because I’m planning on checking out Guangzhou and attending the 103rd Guangzhou Import and Export Fair.

No comments: